Let the Runners Smile
Let the Runners Smile
This morning was perfect running weather in Tokyo.
Living in Minato City, I often find myself surrounded by runners in the early hours of the day. Before the city fully awakens, they are already out there—moving through the streets, each carrying their own rhythm and purpose.
As I watch them pass, I often notice something intriguing.
The expressions on the faces of people who grew up in Japan seem, at times, different from those of people who have come here from other parts of the world.
Of course, every individual is unique, and no observation can capture everyone. Yet there is a subtle difference that catches my attention.
Many Japanese runners appear intensely focused, as if they are embracing the discipline and challenge of the run itself.
Meanwhile, many runners from international backgrounds seem to wear a different expression—one of enjoyment.
They smile.
They pause for coffee.
They stop at a café for breakfast.
They strike up conversations with fellow runners they have just met.
There is a lightness to their presence, a sense that the run is not merely an exercise, but a part of life itself.
I find that perspective refreshing.
Modern neuroscience suggests that creativity often flourishes not under constant pressure, but in states of relaxed attention. When the mind is given room to breathe, imagination begins to emerge. New possibilities become visible.
Perhaps that is what our world needs most today.
We face challenges on every scale—social, economic, environmental, and personal. Yet solutions rarely emerge from anxiety alone. They require imagination, vision, and the ability to see beyond what already exists.
One phrase I have always loved is down to earth.
To me, it means more than simply being practical.
It means staying grounded while remaining open to possibility.
It means recognizing that even the most complex problems can often be approached through small, manageable steps.
The latest research in many fields points toward a surprisingly simple truth: meaningful progress is usually the result of consistent, incremental effort rather than dramatic breakthroughs.
Step by step.
Day by day.
As I walk through the city, I am reminded that Tokyo itself is built from countless individual lives.
Office workers.
Students.
Craftspeople.
Entrepreneurs.
Parents.
Runners.
Every person contributes a small piece of themselves, and together those pieces form the living fabric of the city.
For that, I feel grateful.
My own contribution may be modest.
To create less waste.
To eliminate what is unnecessary.
To live simply.
To remain grounded.
To do my part, however small, as a member of society.
Tomorrow, I begin a significant challenge at work.
If I am honest, I feel anxious.
At times, I want to walk away.
The workload ahead seems larger than what one person should reasonably carry.
Yet tomorrow has not arrived.
For now, my task is simply to take the next step.
To do what I can.
To be honest about what I cannot.
To protect my health, my integrity, and the quality of my work.
Perhaps that, too, is a way of staying down to earth.
As I watched the runners this morning, I realized that life resembles a marathon in one important way.
No one can sprint forever.
Sometimes we need to slow down.
To pause.
To share a coffee.
To exchange a few words.
To laugh.
And so, on this beautiful morning in Tokyo, I find myself wishing one simple thing:
Let the runners smile.
Because a smile, however small, may help carry someone a little farther down the road.
#DownToEarth
#TokyoMorning
#RunningThoughts
#CreativityAndLife
#EverydayWisdom
コメント
コメントを投稿