Let the Runners Smile
Let the Runners Smile
This morning was made for running.
Living in Minato City, Tokyo, I often wake to the sight of runners already moving through the streets before the city is fully awake. Some are training with determination, some are walking briskly, and others seem simply to be enjoying the morning air.
As I watch them pass, I often find myself noticing something curious.
The expressions of those who grew up in Japan sometimes appear different from those of people who have come here from other parts of the world.
Of course, this is only a personal observation, not a rule.
Yet many Japanese runners seem deeply focused, carrying a sense of discipline and purpose in every stride. In contrast, many runners from international backgrounds appear more relaxed. They smile more often. They stop for coffee. They sit down for breakfast. They chat with another runner they happen to meet along the way.
There is a certain ease about them.
A feeling that running is not merely a task to complete, but part of a life to be enjoyed.
Perhaps it is cultural. Perhaps it is simply personality. Either way, I find myself drawn to that sense of lightness.
Modern neuroscience suggests that creativity flourishes when the brain is neither overwhelmed nor under-stimulated. When we relax, even briefly, the mind begins to connect ideas in unexpected ways. Imagination emerges. Vision expands.
And perhaps imagination is exactly what the world needs.
We live in difficult times. Problems seem to multiply faster than solutions. Yet I often wonder whether progress begins not with greater complexity, but with greater clarity.
One of my favorite expressions is down to earth.
To me, it means more than being practical. It means staying grounded while remaining open-minded. It means breaking difficult challenges into small, manageable steps. It means remembering that extraordinary achievements are often built upon ordinary actions repeated consistently over time.
Step by step.
Day by day.
As I walk through this city, I am reminded that Tokyo is not merely a collection of buildings and streets. It is the accumulation of countless individual efforts.
Office workers heading to early meetings.
Shopkeepers preparing for the day.
Students rushing to class.
Parents caring for their families.
Runners greeting the morning.
Every person contributes something. Every life leaves a trace. Together, those traces become the city itself.
For that, I feel grateful.
My own contribution may be small.
To create less waste.
To remove what is unnecessary.
To live simply.
To stay grounded.
To contribute, however modestly, to the society that supports me.
Tomorrow, I begin a significant challenge at work.
To be honest, I am anxious.
The workload ahead feels overwhelming. At times, I want to walk away from it entirely. There are moments when I wonder whether the expectations placed upon me exceed what one person should reasonably carry.
Yet there is little value in worrying about every mile before the race has begun.
Tomorrow is simply the next step.
I will do what I can.
I will be honest about what I cannot.
I will protect my health, my integrity, and the quality of my work.
And I will remember that being professional does not mean carrying every burden alone.
This morning, the runners reminded me of something important.
Life is not won through endless sprinting.
Sometimes we must slow down.
Sometimes we must pause for coffee.
Sometimes we must share a conversation.
And sometimes, we simply need to smile.
So on this beautiful morning in Tokyo, I leave myself with one simple wish:
Let the runners smile.
Because their smiles remind us that even in a demanding world, there is still room for joy, humanity, and hope.
DownToEarth
#TokyoMorning
#RunningThoughts
#CreativityAndLife
#EverydayWisdom
コメント
コメントを投稿